The last stop on your tour is the southwest corner of Bridge and Park. The building here is relatively new, but the corner has an interesting history. In 1874 Mr. L.D. Bartholomew moved to Charlevoix and purchased Samuel See’s interest in the mercantile business Carpenter & See, which was renamed Carpenter & Bartholomew. In addition to this business, Bartholomew had a large shipping and marine business, owned a scow called Supply and had a part interest in the steamer Nellie Booth. Bartholomew built a large building on this corner, called Bartholomew Block, in the 1880s. There were three stores on the first floor, including his hardware store, and an auditorium on the second. One of several in town, it was capable of seating 600 people. The building was sold to Mr. Blanchard, and destroyed by fire in 1923. Today a real estate company occupies the corner.
In the early 1920’s F.J. Fessenden owned a pharmacy called “Pills and Things” in the corner store:
Fire destroyed the “block” in 1923:
The structure was rebuit, with upper floor offices instead of the auditorium. Then the corner store was gutted and remodeled until it reached the form it has today.
The painted sign below was written by Earl Young and placed on the building’s brick wall facing the alley. It was painted by Rev. George Parker, from the First Congregational Church. According to David Miles of the Historical Society, it contains several date errors.