The water tower was constructed in 1906, the same year that Main Street became Park Avenue. It was once one of Charlevoix’s most recognizable landmarks, visible from land and water.
In May of 1995, the aging Charlevoix water tower was pulled down. For years the town had discussed restoring it, but it was decided finally that the cost of restoration, maintenance, and insurance was too high. Today a pathway leads from the sidewalk to a viewing area at the top of the bluff, where cement slabs in the ground mark where the four legs of the tower once stood.